EASTERN NEBRASKA PRACTICAL SHOOTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun requirements

4 posters

Go down

Gun requirements Empty Gun requirements

Post by Glock43 Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:36 pm

I saw your web site with shooting competitions, sounds like a good time, do I need to have a modified gun to compete? I only have one pistol right now, would I need to buy something specific to compete with?

Glock43

Back to top Go down

Gun requirements Empty Re: Gun requirements

Post by Admin Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:42 pm

If you're going to shoot Production class, you need to be using one of the guns on this list:

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

Otherwise if you're shooting another class pretty much any gun will do. You do NOT need to have a "race gun" or competition modifications to your gun to compete, any centerfire service or defense pistol is just fine to get started. If you want to do the Action Pistol matches, you'll need a holster and extra magazines (3 or 4 minimum).

See the full USPSA rules here:
http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

Admin
Admin

https://enps.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexGac Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Same as Admin posted above.... you don't need a "special" gun to compete. I use an off the shelf XDm, the only modification to which is a thinner Dawson front sight post. I've also cleaned it a couple times, but otherwise it's stock.

There are better ocmpetitive guns than others, yes, but to start out, you don't need to buy a competition gun. I started competing with an XD sub-compact. Worked just fine, and it allowed me a while to get familiar with USPSA before committing money to any special gear.

If you have a safe holster and a way to carry 3-5 magazines, then you have what you need.

See you on the range!

AlexGac

Back to top Go down

Post by jthhapkido Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Glock43 wrote:I saw your web site with shooting competitions, sounds like a good time, do I need to have a modified gun to compete?  I only have one pistol right now, would I need to buy something specific to compete with?

As people have said, the answer is "No."  There is a division in which pretty much every non-full-auto pistol can compete (though I really wouldn't suggest doing this with a single-action revolver Smile ).

But....there are some things to think about.  

1) Capacity.

Stages may have up to 32 rounds required to finish them (and that is if you never miss or need to make up a poor shot), so if you have a gun that only carries 8 rounds, you need a number of magazines for it, otherwise you won't be able to finish the stage.  In a similar fashion, you need enough magazine pouches (or large pockets!) in which to carry those magazines.  (If, for example, you have a Glock 43 as your only gun, then you are going to need 6 magazines to finish a USPSA long course of 32 rounds, plus a way to carry those six magazines.)

2) Holster.

No matter what kind of gun you have, the holster needs to be attached to a belt at the waist, and cover the trigger guard.  Nylon holsters are normally a REALLY bad idea for this sort of thing.  Small-of-the-back, crossdraw, pocket, shoulder holsters, and ankle holsters aren't allowed, and while you can shoot using an IWB or AIWB, it isn't normally a good idea, especially for a shooter who is new to the stress of shooting a competition.  As such, a gun where you can find a solid range holster to use is important.  

My question would really be:  Is a Glock 43 the only gun you have?  If not, what gun do you have?  If you don't mind listing it, we can better help you figure out what division would work best for you, and what equipment you'll need to shoot.

If it IS a Glock 43....while that is something you can use to shoot matches, you are going to either need a lot of magazines, or just shoot half of each stage.  And you'll need a good range holster (as a suggestion, something in kydex that is NOT a SERPA holster would probably work best) for it also.

jthhapkido

Back to top Go down

Post by Glock43 Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks for all the great info! Yes, my pistol is a Glock 43. But I have been out shopping the past week and think I will pick up a G17 or G19 also to use for range shooting and these matches, seems that will be a better gun for this.

Glock43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum